[FRIAM] A Theory of (Almost) Everything - IEEE Spectrum

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Thu Apr 15 17:29:16 EDT 2021

I worry that all these conversations are hard to have in a form that is useful for the relevant timescales, because they are all what would be called “partial equilibrium” calculations in Marshall’s terms.

Meaning: you take a bunch of systemic properties for which you don’t try to model feedbacks as if they are fixed, and then study the effect of one factor.  So if oil gets cheaper for a time, and you are using oil to run the extraction machines and smelters to get pure copper from ores, then you can extract from lower grade ores for a while and still have money-prices go down.  Likewise trans-global vegetable shipments from southern-hemisphere countries while the US homogenizes on corn and soybean farming etc.  If there are long-term stresses either on (Steve G is right: free)-energy supplies, or on climate impacts from consuming (dissipating) them, or on soil quality or fragility under drought/flood, or dozens of other things, then the Marshallian “external” prices changes under which the extraction of low-grade ores, the distant-sourcing of foods, etc.  got cheaper will no longer pertain.

There are two things one would need to do to do better.  Both are costly and difficult, and we live in a society where increasingly whatever a Spiegelman’s monster can’t do doesn’t get done.  Consider how many times Kati Kariko nearly got kicked out of science, because there was no room or interest for the work of uncertain outcome that she wanted to do, or because her bosses kept moving to industry as public money migrated over to companies and public risk priorities got changed for corporate risk priorities.  The two things are:

1. EROEI analysis of whatever you want to talk about.  (Steve G: should be FEROFEI.). Energy return on energy invested through a lifecycle.  I know a guy who claims to have analysis that full cycle solar and wind don’t actually pay for themselves in free-energy terms if one accounts for every step from extraction of raw materials through replacement.  I don’t trust his analysis blindly, because he is another of these howling misanthropes who likes self-flogging in the public square, which I think is a vanity in place of just putting one’s head down and trying to solve something.  But he isn’t at all an idiot (a petroleum engineer, long-time university researcher, works for oil companies and has lived and worked in the Persian gulf nations when university options dried up), and his analysis could be partly or fully correct.  It would take more work than I am able to do to check it.

There is another fly in the ointment of doing this, which is saying what counts as a “lifecycle”.  Economists like to talk about “disposal” as the endpoint of lifecycles — the city charges you $15 to haul off your dead refrigerator and throw it into a landfill — or today, sends part of it to India to be scavenged for small electronic bits -- is the model that mostly used to apply when the term became mainstreamed.  But of course if we really want a persistent set of methods, we need to use the biosphere as a model: apart from a net drain on continental weathering that only gets refreshed by tectonics and orogeny, what survives in the biosphere is limited to what can fully recycle everything else on the surface.  The EROEI analysis for a fully-recycling lifecycle becomes very hard if we require reprocessing of things like custom metal mixtures for which separation technologies are not currently used and would have to be invented or developed to industrial scale.

Economists like Simon like to downplay (really, ignore) this, on the grounds that they can do a partial equilibrium analysis and so want to emphasize that there is some analytic value in what they can do.  If they were more forthright about how much that analysis simply ignores, they would have to be quieter, and they wouldn’t be famous economists.  That’s a social Darwinism problem for us all.

2. For any transition when you aren’t using a fully-recycling lifecycle, there has to be some kind of materials-flow analysis of constraints.  That would go into the direction of von Neumann’s input-output analysis (not Leontieff's, which is just money flows and thus partial equilibrium again), and gets very intricate and data- and labor-intensive.  I am not aware of any significant percentage of work of that kind for most problems, because there is not just the support to keep many people alive doing it.

The end result being, then, that we try to have these arguments about long-term consequences of choices, pieced together as far as we can, from little patchwork analyses and first-derivatives of current technologies.  No criticism for trying to do what one can, but it’s not a very strong method to get reliable causal claims.

Putting “human capacity for innovation” in as a tangent is maybe the most fragile of all.  Not wrong to do it, but it depends so heavily on the “ceteris paribus” condition.  Moore’s law held for how many decades?  Some thing that it held in part because it created a forecast of technological expectations, which companies then tried to meet.  But that couldn’t continue for ever either.  That was probably the simplest possible example, because the “kind” of progress that needed to be made was mostly homogeneous.  For most of “innovation” what is required is the discovery of.novel approaches; very hard to argue that those fall on scaling laws; though if they appear to do so empirically it is worth noting.

Eric