[FRIAM] water, again (was murder offsets)

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Mon Apr 19 11:42:12 EDT 2021

I live in a small town Mossel Bay in South Africa with a semi-desert
climate. We have a desalination plant that can supply +/- 60% of normal
potable water usage. It's not for the rich people only, when the dams
supplying water in normal years dry up, everybody, including the
desperately poor people get potable water.

If you allow me to go off-topic for a moment. Mossel Bay is in the Western
Cape province of South Africa and we have plenty of what we call "swallows"
here. It's people from Europe that own second properties and live here in
the European winter when it's summer in South Africa. The summer before
Covid my wife and I were hiking along the coast and we bump into a
"swallow"couple from Switzerland and we started to chat to them. The woman
told us she considers this to be the most beautiful place on earth.
Afterwards we said wow!, coming from a Swiss, it must mean something.