[FRIAM] water, again (was murder offsets)

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 19 15:53:16 EDT 2021

A personal experience that supports the more cynical / realistic posts in this thread: technology, capitalism, poverty, etc.

In 1987 I was taking a graduate course in "development anthropology" and had to write a term paper on economic development in the Sudan (one of my professors was married to a woman from there). The proposal centered on solar power as the innovative tech and as an alternative to several planned hydro-power projects being planned. In addition to solar panels for local energy needs, the proposal included a framework for manufacturing 12-volt appliances, like refrigerators, lighting, heaters, toasters, kitchen appliances, etc. as well as computers. 80% of the manufactured goods were for export — to the, then, luxury RV market in the US and Europe. Huge net gain in Sudanese economy demonstrated.

Prof sent the paper to a competition at the World Bank and I won a $2500 prize. World Bank tried to get funding for the project from member nations, especially the US, but USAID vetoed the plan in favor of a multi-billion dollar hydro project that "just happened" to award construction money to US companies and incorporated technically obsolete generators and transformers for the inevitable, very wasteful transmission grid.

davew