[FRIAM] interjection from another conversation

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:02:17 EDT 2021

Hi Dave,

And Hi Jenny!

What is the metaphor the writer has in mind when he speaks of “evolution”.  Evolution-by-natural-selection works by decreasing the variability offered up by mutation.  Evolution-by- phylogenesis may increase variability or decrease it, depending on the demands of the environment.  Stable environments offer the opportunity for phylogenesis; variable environments suppress it.  Developmental systems, of course, don’t tolerate massive random variability.  For a variant to survive most things have to be held constant.   The model Gabriel has in mind here seems to be like that of the Preconscious advanced many years ago by Lawrence Kubie in his Neurotic Distortion of the Creative Process which views craziness (eg Van Gogh) as a limitation of creativity, not as a maker thereof.  (Think of how brilliant Van Gogh would have been if he HADN’T been crazy) True creativity (says Kubie) arises from the PRE-conscious, e.g., daydreaming,  in which thoughts get scrambled into novel combinations.  But even Kubie-variation would be too great for a developmental system.  In general, I think valorizing variability obscures the fact that in any developmental or evolutionary system MODERATE levels of variability are essential, and the essential question is how do we balance the future-seeking power of variation against the stability necessary for that variation to find expression.

Nick

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/