[FRIAM] thermodynamics of gambling demons

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sat Apr 24 06:14:56 EDT 2021

>From yesterday's issue of Science:
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6540/eabc6868, Fluctuations
shape plants through proprioception

Plants constantly experience fluctuating internal and external mechanical
cues, ranging from nanoscale deformation of wall components, cell growth
variability, nutating stems, and fluttering leaves to stem flexion under
tree weight and wind drag. Developing plants use such fluctuations to
monitor and channel their own shape and growth through a form of
proprioception. Fluctuations in mechanical cues may also be actively
enhanced, producing oscillating behaviors in tissues. For example,
proprioception through leaf nastic movements may promote organ flattening.
We propose that fluctuation-enhanced proprioception allows plant organs to
sense their own shapes and behave like active materials with adaptable
outputs to face variable environments, whether internal or external.
Because certain shapes are more amenable to fluctuations, proprioception
may also help plant shapes to reach self-organized criticality to support
such adaptability.

This review is against the view that plant morphology is simply a
deterministic developmental program with environmental noise imposed on it.

-- rec --