[FRIAM] the Big (Bright) Green Lie

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Apr 24 13:45:35 EDT 2021

Paraphrasing Larry McMurtry's fur-trapping duo as they are leaving their
favorite valley at the end of the season with their pack mules (too
lightly) loaded with Beaver Pelts:

"remember when we used to come here 20 years ago, we could trap 100
beaver a day from this valley, now it seems it takes a whole week to
take that many!  I wonder where they all went?"

A friend commented recently that if we had "unlimited" free energy, we
would just make our strip mines 10 times as deep and 100 times as wide.

I like to consider the Dyson Sphere
<http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/SETI1.HTM> as an edge/extreme case
of what we could/might do to optimize the exploitation of the free
energy in our solar system.  I particularly like that Dyson conjured it
in a thought experiment of one way to search for extra-terrestial
(extra-solar) civilizations.    If Elon Musk has a skunkworks and
nanotech/antimatter project underway it seems conceivable that such a
Dyson Sphere could be constructed in a generation or three.   And then
what?   What  would we exploit then?   Wait for Sol to go supernova and
somehow build multiple shells to buffer, absorb, re-emit that energy on
a time-scale more suitable to carbon-based life?   Or become postCarbon,
not just postHuman?