[FRIAM] semi-idle question

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Apr 26 18:27:36 EDT 2021

I want to accede to something here, but I can't quite find what the "it"
is here to accede to.

In the spirit of Cordwainer-Smith's "objects",   there is something
*like* humanity which is adapting (ok, call it evolving) rapidly,
especially if you extend  "phenotype" to include our co-evolved
relations (microbiome,  cohort of domesticated animals,  our persistent
social, cultural, political, economic and technological artifacts, etc.)
which I do not intend to quibble with.

I don't think our eyesight is getting measureably worse because we
started wearing glasses a few hundred years ago.   I  do think that
higher and lower production of melanin is an evolved trait in isolated
populations of humans who lived closer/further from the equator, and
similarly for the genes for proteins that are implicated in insulin
production/sensitivity.   And I think that happened over hundreds of
generations.    Is this something you are disagreeing with?  It seems
more likely that you are disagreeing with the *import* or relevance of
these things?

Are you "just" criticizing the conventional way of talking about
genotype/phenotype evolution or are you coining/invoking something
useful to replace/supercede it?