[FRIAM] semi-idle question

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 18:46:03 EDT 2021

Let me say it another way.

I think gene guns are an evolutionary operator like sexual crossover. But that doesn't quite get at what I'm saying either, because it still targets DNA. So I'll also say that the marketing campaign by cereal companies to get us to eat breakfast every day is *also* an evolutionary operator. An older example would be the slow modification of bananas so that I can slice up a banana on top of my cereal and it'll be genetically (roughly) the same banana you slice up on your cereal. We can make a more interesting case with lactose [in]tolerance. The engineering of our food is an evolutionary operator.

Sure, the speed of the gene gun is faster than the domestication of bananas. But they're of the same category. What I'm disagreeing with is the *categories* that allow us to say "humans won't evolve anymore" and think we're making any sense. Cultural evolution *is* human evolution. The only difference is the collection of evolutionary *operators* in play.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ