[FRIAM] Science fiction query?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Aug 2 14:33:01 EDT 2021

Perhaps Stephen Vincent Benét's _Metropolitan Nightmare_
<https://poets.org/poem/metropolitan-nightmare>, a prose poem published
in 1933, just 4 years after his Pulitzer Prize winning _John Brown's Body_ ?

These being the closing lines:

     /"Say, buddy," he said, "You'd better look out for those ants. They
    eat wood, you know, They'll have your shack down in no time." The
    watchman spat. "Oh, they've quit eating wood," he said, in a casual
    voice, "I thought everybody knew that." —and, reaching down, He
    pried from the insect jaws the bright crumb of steel./