[FRIAM] off-label technologies, exaptatiion and exponential technological growth.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Aug 7 14:58:21 EDT 2021

> Sorry.  I meant no particular enthusiasm for a living wage as an
> ultimate goal.  The goal is, of course, to create a system that allows
> a maximum number of people to do what they want.  So each freedom for
> one person is judged against restrictions it imposes on others.
>

> You could read the article … hint… hint.

NST -

If you refer to your article in The Environmentalist you linked
recently, you may appreciate that I slipped it in near the top of my
stack of other writings on early "Environment v. Development"
perspectives and look forward to quaffing it in a single sitting.

I appreciate that *few* who promote a "living wage" consider it an
ultimate goal, maybe just a "good start" or "the least we can do".   I
tip well and shop local somewhat independent of quality of service (up
to certain absurd thresholds) in this spirit.

I figured out a few decades ago that it does ME no good to have others
suffer unnecessarily, and that much of what is often dismissed as "not
my problem" is really just a lack of attention to the web of
implications in my life.

Maybe Marcus' post-humans will have much better network-depth analysis
built in, and will in fact "do the right thing" even when the
first-order consequences seem to be against self-interest.  Or maybe not.

-SAS