[FRIAM] ivermectin, nope

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Aug 15 20:28:32 EDT 2021

Eric -

>> I understand Hydroxychloroquine to have been used widely in
>> developing (equatorial) countries as an antiviral (in particular
>> Malaria) \
>>
> Not antiviral, Steve.  Plasmodium isn’t even a bacterium; it is a
> protozoan.  One of us, gooble gobble.

yes to protozoan, I shortcut a bit too much...   I was mostly
referencing the anecdotal experience of a friend who did 2 years in
Africa in the 90s as a Peace Corps volunteer.   He contracted Malaria
and was prescribed a series of rounds of Hydroxychloroquine as the
remedy (against the protozoa responsible).   The doses he was given were
so strong as to have many (short term) negative side-effects especially
heaped on top of his malaria symptoms.  I think he even had a couple of
heavy rounds a year or more after returning to knock down flare-ups.

According to him, Hydroxycholoroquine was (among Americans/Europeans in
Africa in his circle) treated as a broad-spectrum preventative/cure to
*many things* including many viruses.   It isn't clear that was good
medicine or by some measure more a placebo with limited long-term
side-effects they can throw an anything with limited negative
consequences?   I can't imagine what it feels like to be a 3rd world MD
trying to raise public health against terrible odds while also dealing
with first-world do-gooders (or badders like arms and diamond dealers)
who have (relatively) minor problems given their overall state of health
and access to prime health care before and after living there.  Maybe
throwing synthetic Quinine at first-worlders was an easy thing to do to
get them out of the office?

The kind of conflation I offered up could easily feed/explain those who
have (or still are) pushed synthetic Quinine as a remedy for Covid-19.
My bad.  My daughter ( a virologist studying Flavis) would not be
pleased.  She is also rabidly ant-anti-vaxx and anti-anti-science,
though she is having a crisis of trust with medical science (as a
system, not a science).

As you point out, the mechanism seems to involve raising the pH enough
to interfere with reproduction of the protozoan or some viruses, and it
is too easy to conflate en-vivo with en-vitro contexts.  Like Trump's
idea of injecting bleach (or whatever he *actually* said that was easily
refactored into something that bluntly brain-dead).

I was surprised to discover that 2 liters of Tonic Water is assumed to
be an equivalent dose to the prescribed standard dose of Quinine in pill
form.  I have to admit to a significant fondness for Gin and Tonic, but
I don't know that I could maintain that level of consumption for more
than a day or two.  One liter sounds a lot more reasonable.   At my
preferred 1/3 gin, 1/3 Tonic, 1/3 ice that leads to a mere 3-4 jiggers
of gin a day?

- Steve