[FRIAM] "ZAMM"

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Aug 19 16:16:23 EDT 2021

Nick -

I read it when it was fairly new and I was very young.   The interwebs
(I mean, whatever vapid popular culture rode on top of in those days)
was aflutter and I was a voracious reader, a motorcycle
owner/rider/maintainer, and I was enamored of the idea of eastern
mysticism in spite of the harsh and distorting filters Western pop
culture shoved it through before it could get to me.  So of course i
read it.  And of course I was disappointed.

I was hugely disappointed and annoyed by Pirsig/Phaedrus.   I did not
ride motorcycles for the reasons or in the way he did, nor did I
maintain mine in his fashion nor did I hold it up in the way he did.  Of
course, Pirsig (and his character) were somewhat older than I was and
had had more time in life to F* up...   he just seemed like a
self-indulgent F*-up to me, dragging his son through the worst of it
along with him.    I was also offended by all the hubub about the
book... for the most part I "just didn't get it".   It just seemed like
more of our pop-culture's need to elevate a quite base neopatriarchy:
(e.g. Hemingway, Kerouac, HS Thompson, Abbey, etc)

When Mary moved here about 4 years ago, we (re)read ZAMM together.  In
the intervening years I had learned a lot more about mental illness
including having direct experience with people who had endured a great
deal of it, up to and including Electroshock Therapy.   I had also grown
out of my motorcycle riding identity (in my 50s) but still held onto
fetishizing the spirit of something as simple and "easy" to maintain as
a (classic) motorcycle (or auto).   I had also read a lot more Greek
(and other Western/Eastern) Philosophy in the intervening years and had
my own ideas about "Quality" including Christopher Alexander's ineffable
"Quality Without a Name".

I appreciated ZAMM/Pirsig/Phaedrus a lot more the second time but still
felt like it was somewhat self-indulgent.  To the extent that I know of
Pirsig's subsequent unfolding of a life (including his son's death) I
felt more sympathetic to what I had judged as F*up.  It also helps that
I went on to F* up my own life repeatedly and sometimes even recursively
(yet I am still here, being self-indulgent and judgemental).

this was a nice obituary blog entry:

https://douglastoft.com/robert-pirsig-on-coming-to-terms-with-the-death-of-his-son/

Another couple of (re) reads we did together were:

    Moby Dick

    A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich