[FRIAM] Eternal questions

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:01:09 EDT 2021

I suppose my problem is that I *do* think we can find "the sadness" inside the brain ... well, not inside the brain, exactly, but inside the *body* ... well, not *inside* the body but peri-body, localized *at* the body, but extending out into the body's context a bit.

Glen.  I pretty much agree with the highlighted part, assuming that reader will accept my HTML highlighting.

I agree that your fear is an organization of your experience of your house which would be very hard  for us to experience without focusing on you and what you are doing.

I think EricC, Bybee, and I handle this quite well in our analysis of the anecdote of “Joe and the Bear”,  beginning with pages 8-13 of our review of Laird’s book,  <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260060117_A_BEHAVIORIST_ACCOUNT_OF_EMOTIONS_AND_FEELINGS_MAKING_SENSE_OF_JAMES_D_LAIRD'S_FEELINGS_THE_PERCEPTION_OF_SELF> Feelings. Your fear is your perception that you grabbed a bat; the brain obviously mediates that fear, as it does everything.  There is nothing more inherently physiological in “fear” than there is in what we are doing right now, you and I, as we tickle our keyboards.  The brain divides out of the equation.

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/