[FRIAM] Eternal questions

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 12:34:46 EDT 2021

I hope EricC picks this up.  He has been too absent lately.  Damn him for having gotten an interesting job.

I guess I think in levels of organization, and my rants are always of the form, Grant Each Level Its Due and Do Not Confuse Them.  So you can discuss the amygdala all you want, but you still have not described, or identified, fear.

So, you ask, how would a person of my persuasion go about explaining the relation between the molecules in my skin  and the excitation of those elections that produce on my screen, what I am writing.  Never mind the socalled hard problem (the problem of the soul). Let’s figure out a way to talk about that.

Or for that matter, let’s make it even simpler:  Let’s talk about the relation between the molecules of a cue  ball that result in the motion of the eightball into a pocket and the loss of the game.   Let’s even do some spherical cowing here and assume that one, and only one molecule of the cue ball touches one and only one molecule of the eightball.  Is this a good model?   Have I understood the question right?

I don’t think Nick should say “I am my fear.”  I think he should say “I am the sum total of all the things that I do and that fear is one of the things I do”.   Or, perhaps, to put it in terms of experience-monism, “I am all that I experience and when I experience my flight behavior in relation to my experience of my circumstances I experience my fear.”

I have to get back to that message from EricS that I bungled my response to.

Nick

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/