[FRIAM] Eternal questions

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Aug 26 13:31:36 EDT 2021

I like the gesture of these works... that our apprehension of systems is
somehow the modulation of our coupling with them at different
frequencies (and thus scales)...   which is not the same as simply
"filtering"

It does seem as if "thinking" in it's broadest sense is a form of
coupling one's (somewhat isolated/insulated) dynamical system with
another external (ideally somewhat isolated) system.    This is the
"scoping" that happens in formal and informal modeling (analogy,
metaphor, etc.).

In one extreme, "mathematical thinking" couples logic with axioms, in
another, a highly trained/practiced predator/prey/hunter/gatherer
engages in an arbitrarily complex milieu (ecosystem, landscape) in a
highly effective way to optimize some kind of internal goals.   In the
middle would seem to be the range of "games" from crossword puzzles,
sodoku, tic-tac-toe, chess, go to croquet, soccer, cricket, competitive
curling, mixed martial arts, bare-knuckle big-game hunting.

Calling this "thinking", of course, diminishes what is more properly
called "being" I think ("I am"?) no matter if Descartes wanted to reduce
(human) being to (mere) thinking?

- Steve