[FRIAM] "All [persons] are created equal"

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Aug 27 11:31:10 EDT 2021

I thought Glen made a good bid for "respect" over "equality".   The
aphorism "we optimize what we measure" seems apropos.   Equality IS (at
best?) a roll-up measure of other things.   Noting inequality (of
income, of assets, of access to opportunity, of treatment by due
process, etc.) is useful to determine how well one is doing on the
factors that *lead* to (in)equaity.   Treating equality itself as the
goal (not simply a rule-of-thumb estimate of how well one is doing at
other goals) can lead to focusing on the wrong things.