[FRIAM] Weighted Ensemble

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Mon Aug 30 13:43:41 EDT 2021

This sounds like an algorithm for parallel protein folding that I ranted
about a long time ago.  Start with some collection of conformations;
perform many different molecular dynamics simulations from your starting
points in parallel;  continue with the most promising subset.  As molecular
dynamics on proteins tends to find lots of deadends, you can get a lot of
improvement by tabu'ing the known deadends and extending into conformations
which don't double back into visited regions.  Seems I remember it went
back to some monte-carlo work at LANL in the 1950's, Goodfellow?

It also sounds a lot like Monte Carlo Tree search as used, for instance, in
AlphaGo.

It boils down to how well you can distinguish promising and unpromising
branches.

Whatever, it was in Friam before gmail, so I can't search for it.  There
doesn't appear to be any search in the Friam archives, and the years before
2017 at https://redfish.com/pipermail/friam_redfish.com/ are all 404 anyway.

-- rec --