[FRIAM] Liberal dilemmas

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 16:31:46 EDT 2021

Thank you, Glen and Frank. Seeing the image, and whether authoritarian or
not, I couldn't help but relate. There have probably (right or wrong) been
a number of times in the last month where the very same narrative ran
through my mind while in line for coffee or groceries or whatever. I
appreciate that the comic said nothing of vaccination, whether those in the
crowd were or were not. I guess I read the comic as being an individual's
feelings "in the moment", regardless of whether the causes are low-blood
sugar or post-lockdown social anxiety or the sense that there is a breach
of social contract or ...

What I like about the comic is that it could be a great way to poll the
country (a'la one of those New Yorker comic contests we sometimes talk
about on vFriam). We could produce a second comic with a person without a
mask surrounded by masked individuals. Then with thought bubbles cleared,
hand both images to people and ask them to fill in the bubbles for both
comics. I can imagine that collecting the comics at the end would give a
richer picture of the kinds of thoughts and feelings people actually have
than the strangely averaged forms I often receive.