[FRIAM] A Novel Recipe for Kitchen Research?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 23:23:46 EDT 2021

Dear Friam List,

A softward developer colleague of mine in Santa fe has proposed a qualitative methodology which might be of interest to you folks.  The idea is to make a cartoon similar to the one above and leave the captions blank, asking the subjects to fill them in under various versions of the cartoon.  In this case, one could vary who is wearing a mask in the cartoon, and then, of course, ask subjects a series of questions concerning pandemic-related behaviors, etc. What I like about it is that it get’s at the kind of thoughts that we attribute to others but demands (without appearing to be demanding) that respondents be concise.  One can imagine varying dress, race, class indicators.  It would make a nice study of people’s abductions: given that I know a person’s mask-wearing (etc.), what then am I led to infer about their “internal” state.

If you are interested in getting his further thoughts, I would be happy to put you through to him.  I would require you to acknowledge him if you used the idea.  If it’s a method that is already in use, that’s on me, not him.

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/