[FRIAM] Screening off

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:07:38 EST 2021

If 1 co-occurs with 2 50% of the time, and 2 co-occurs with 3 50% of the
time, and that 1 never occurs with 3 except when 2 has occurred, then:
* Given 1 happens, then you would guess that 3 will happen 25% of the time.
* But if you knew whether or not 1 had caused 2 in a particular instance,
you could significantly improve that guess (shifting to 0% or 50%).
* In contrast, if you knew 2 happened, you would guess that 3 would happen
50% of the time, AND it wouldn't change anything if you found out whether
or not 1 had happened.
<echarles at american.edu>

Now, in place of "co-occurs" some people want to substitute "cause", which
is frustrating and confusing to you, because you are an experimentalist.
This is an "observational" approach to trying to draw conclusions, not a
"true experiment" approach. At no point do you get to manipulate the
variables and see what happens. You *just *look at the data that was
collected, and conclude A) that 2 causes 3, and B) that to the extent that
1 causes 3, it causes 3 via 2, and in no other fashion. And, as an
experimentalist, you know that's a pretty non-ideal approach to getting at
causation, no matter how schmanzy the algorithms get.

In contrast, let us imagine we are studying the vocalizations of macaques,
and we notice that a certain vocalization happens, which haven't heard very
often, seems to co-occur with the presence of leopards. We think "Hey,
maybe seeing a leopard is causing the cries" ---> Presence of leopard
causes seeing of leopard, seeing of leopard causes cries. In this case, we
would find that a much messier relationship. It would look something like
this:
* Presence of a leopard co-occurs with seeing a leopard 80% of the time.
* Seeing a leopard co-occurs with cries 80% of the time.
* IF seeing the leopard screened off, then when a leopard is present, you
would expect a given macaque to make a cry 64% of the time - if, and only
if, they see the leopard.
* But you observe a much higher rate of response when you do your
observations. What's happening? Why is the leopard-call response not
"screened off" by having seen the leopard?
* Well.... there are OTHER ways that the presence of a Leopard causes
cries, such as hearing a leopard, or smelling the leopard. (Plus leopard
calls are mimicked.) Because of that, it wouldn't be surprising to have
leopard calls occur 80 or 90% of the time a leopard is nearby.