[FRIAM] more modal realism

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 14:44:28 EST 2021

This always struck me as such a weird discussion. I've had people try to
drag me into it a few times.

If there was ever the slightest change that  something could come from
nothing, and nothing was around for long enough, eventually something would
come from it.

But, I think the better point is something like: While I don't know how
many of the "possible worlds" might exist... I can assure you that all of
them in which someone asks "Why is there something rather than nothing?"
are worlds in which there is something.

So even if the vast majority of the possible worlds had nothing, it would
still be true that 100% of the worlds in which people-in-bars asked such
questions, would be worlds with something.

<echarles at american.edu>