[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 14:32:39 EST 2021

Yes, I think there will be problems because, although personal and corporate bankruptcy take care of the bottom ... say ... 20%, it doesn't handle the rest of us. Two examples are Robinhood's reputation and a couple of links down from what Jon forwarded: https://github.com/QuantConnect/Lean

I considered using Robinhood. Now I never will. I'm 1 degree removed from friends who tried to get me into quant, but never did. LEAN may be (or have been) just the push I needed. I'm just one dork with no money or power. But if it changes the way I think, it may change the way others think.

It may not be obvious, but GitHub is a kind of social media, built upon the prior concept of open-source (built upon the prior concept of open data, etc.). Add that to e.g. astroturf posts on social media trying to float conspiracy theories that Citadel manipulated the press, that Robinhood never had a liquidity problem, etc. I think it's difficult to see where and how social media will take us. But at least finance is smaller scoped than politics.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ