[FRIAM] Message to the non-posting 95%

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Wed Feb 3 00:59:25 EST 2021

Stephen,

I run five parallel threads on the Raspberry Pi. One server and four
clients, one client for each camera. Each client continuously monitors the
feed on one camera and does basic motion detection on the images. It passes
only the images where motion has been detected to the server.
If there are no images with motion, the server will do (almost) nothing.
The server processes the images with motion on a first-come-first-served
basis. The "heavy-lifting" computing to detect humans in the images is done
in the Neural Compute Stick.
When a human is detected, the server then does the following:
it switches a light on;
it plays a sound clip, you can use any recorded MP3 sound clip, the default
is a barking dog;
send the images with boxes drawn around the detected humans per telegram to
as many users as you wish.

It is just amazing what you can achieve with relative little effort using
user-friendly low cost technology. I don't claim to have done significant
innovative or novel work, I've just combined available technology.

By the way, your Posenet example is cool!

Pieter