[FRIAM] mathematics and politics

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Wed Feb 3 23:25:23 EST 2021

A direct quote from Reddit: "...to ensure a future research identity in AI,
computational modelling, digitalisation and data science requires ceasing
research in Pure Mathematics in order to invest and extend activities in
these areas"

In an ideal world no compromises are required. In the real world there are
constraints. It's very difficult for me to take a strong position, but I
don't think allocating more resources on AI, computational modelling,
digitalisation and data science is necessarily a bad idea.