[FRIAM] mathematics and politics

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 00:31:08 EST 2021

I suppose I get that Leicester can restructure whatever it is they believe
they offer however they wish. As an outsider, I cannot help but feel a
little shocked that a public research university appears to fail to
understand the value of pure mathematics. In particular, the failure would
not only be toward understanding the history of how computation, AI, and the
data sciences came to be, but also a failure to recognize the wellspring
from which new ideas in these fields come forth. At the very least, I
sympathize with one commenter who remarked, "If any department can be axed
without warning there seems like very little reason for any academic to want
a job at Leicester."

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/