[FRIAM] ethical dilemma

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 5 12:09:39 EST 2021

One should be precise when asking a question, and I find I was not.

The first ethical dilemma is that I would have to **knowingly lie** about my "fear" of contracting COVID at work. I know I am at greater risk but that has not and likely will not translate into "fear."

The second ethical dilemma arises from the fact that I would be, almost, literally irreplaceable — unemployment benefits are a huge disincentive to workiong. So those I left behind will suffer some serious negative impacts, assuming my hours and increasing their own exposure to disease. Ethics of loyalty, friendship, compassion for others????

A third issue: if I inspired even one other colleague to follow my example, the store likely would have to close with negative impacts on the community as well as the other employees.

One might make a case that the only ethical thing for me to do would be to leave and take as many as my colleagues with me in hopes that the Canadian company that owns the story would raise their wages scale to $15+ an hour. This would harm nothing except their corporate profits and would benefit both the community and all the employees. Unlikely to happen, but the ethical argument could be made.

PS Nick: yes, I would be lonely, but that is a pandemic condition during the pandemic.

PPS poets: Richard Gabriel, Ph.D. Computer Science, MFA Poetry, creator of a poetry writing AI — told me that Haiku cannot be written in English, or any non-ideographic language, because meter provides only syntax, and misses the semantic point.

davew