[FRIAM] The Hidden Spring: A Journey to the Source of Consciousness by Mark Solms

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 21:36:23 EST 2021

Back in the 80s Hans Moravec, author of "Mind Children:  The Future of
AI",  and I used to argue constantly about the nature of consciousness.  I
forwarded Russ' post to him after decades without our communicating.  Here
is his reply in its entirety.

"Hi Frank,

Surely the position that emotions arise in the cortex is a straw man, I
don't
know anyone who argues that.  Reasoning rationalizes the drives, doesn't
cause them.
That doesn't mean a reasoning AI can't someday simulate emotions, like
an actor or author.

Hans

We worked in the Robotics Institute.  Neither of us wastes words apparently.

Frank

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,