[FRIAM] what complexity science says ...

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Sun Feb 7 15:11:43 EST 2021

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:46 AM <thompnickson2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive me.  As usual I overstated the case.  But the cochlea IS a piece of
> meat, not a gang of oscillators.  In graduate school (back in the 19

century) I was taught that one end of cochlea was following the wave while

the other was using many neurons to follow the wave,

*eyebrowed monster which doth mock the meat,*
*resonant earbrows tune to your speech*

*Frequency Tuning*
Each point along the basilar membrane oscillates a different amount,
depending on the frequency of the sound. Points near the oval window, at
the start, oscillate the largest amount in response to high-frequency
tones. Points near the helicotrema oscillate by the largest amount in
response to low-frequency tones.
from
http://www.cns.nyu.edu/~david/courses/perception/lecturenotes/pitch/pitch.html
[image: image.png]