[FRIAM] Conditional Association and the "natural order"

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Thu Feb 11 14:01:53 EST 2021

There's an article in the NYTimes today about the issues adaptive fashion
companies have with Facebook automated ad rejections.  The model in the
wheelchair was showing a lot of skin as she demonstrated how the side
closure underpants worked, but it shouldn't take three weeks of emailing
back and forth to get the ad approved, and not the same thing everytime a
new ad was submitted.

It made me think that the primary bias in AI systems is that there is _an_
answer that is correct, and with sufficient input data and compute
resources, the loss minimization will converge to that correct answer.

That in turn reminds me of these discussions about the Truth versus the
many truths under different contingencies, in different contexts, from
different points of view, according to one or another person's lived
experience, and so on.

I'm thinking to file these issues all under #AttentionEcologyDisorder.
When the varieties of reality threaten to exceed one's capacity, one
simplifies by picking one variety and discarding the rest.  And then making
an argument for why the variety one picked deserves to be privileged over
all the others.

This also reminds me of Marcus' accusation that I find FRIAM boring.  Au
contraire, it's much too interesting and it takes too much time to deal
with it.

-- rec --