[FRIAM] A public letter to Nick, cc: any that write here

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 13:12:55 EST 2021

<https://www.crimemuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/sinatramug1-300x236.jpg>
/Most people don’t know that Frank Sinatra has an arrest record and a
mugshot to match.
The reason for his arrest may be even more surprising.  The official charge?
Seduction.
<https://www.crimemuseum.org/crime-library/celebrity-mugshots/frank-sinatra/>
This seemingly archaic charge was generally applied when a man convinced an
unmarried
woman of good repute to engage in an inappropriate encounter with him. There
was generally
a promise of marriage that was never actually forthcoming, thereby ruining
her reputation./
Nick,
On Friday, you claimed that the role of the introduction is to
establishreadership, to ward off those that need not read the text. For me,
theintroduction serves to register the reader, to initiate the reader intoa
reader-text assemblage. Nowhere in the text is seduction more apparentthan
in the introduction. The introduction exists to seduce the reader,to draw
the reader aside. The introduction not only orients the readertoward
decoding the text but also initiates the reader into a newrelationship with
the text.
sympathizing with Eco's "Role of the Reader", I interpret a text as acurried
function, a kind of incomplete reaction, a thing that lies inwait for a
reader before engaging in the /process of becoming/. As one article on
<https://baudrillardstudies.ubishops.ca/seducing-machines-baudrillard-deleuze-and-crash/>
/seducing-machines/  puts it:
/The process of becoming is to occupy “molecular” states...in order tothink
of oneself not as a ready-made self, but as a type of proto-subjectthat
allows for and insists upon constant metamorphosis and flux.../
Seduction exists only relative to desire, and taking a cue from
Deleuze,*desire is construction*. The connection here, for me, is that
constructionis generative and thus fitness is not given apriori. A text must
relyon the grace of seduction. The text does not have readers, only
potentialreaders. That is, robust desire and robust seduction require
/grace/.To quote a  PBS special on pollination
<https://www.youtube.com/watch/SZrTndD1H10?t=54s>  , "And since bees are
messy..."
I am only beginning to think about the idea.That biology appears to be quite
the source of seduction, I would loveto hear your thoughts on it with
regards to /design/ or with regards to the /goal directed-function/relation.
Jon

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/