[FRIAM] academia as a market of ideas

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 16:29:06 EST 2021

IDK, my joke response earlier was intended to say that I can't parse "market of ideas". A market requires some common measure (e.g. currency) to which everything is reduced and with which the things are bought and sold. If it's a market, what is that measure? You could make an argument that the measure need not be a reduction ... like some sort of barter. But there would still need to be some commonality, perhaps a language like English. And my guess is each idea domain has its own jargon, which implies the domains would all need to be inter-translatable ... and that would require some discussion of how isomorphic the languages are.

I'd argue part of why Nick thinks Sober is a tourist is because their languages don't match very well. Hence, either it's not a market or these 2 traders are bad at trading ... or somesuch.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ