[FRIAM] academia as a market of ideas

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 19 10:41:17 EST 2021

A "market" found in aboriginal Australia and the South Pacific:

1- the two sides never spoke, only one side was "in the market" at any given time.
2- side A put out piles of the goods(A) they wanted to trade then leave.
3- side B would place their trade goods(B) near the goods(A) they wished to purchase, then leave.
4-Side A would remove piles that had no goods(B) and factor the goods(A) piles into smaller lots, then leave.
5-Side B would add good(B) to the smaller good(A) piles.
4-5 would continue until there was no change in the good(A) and good(B) piles — indicating that X amount of Good(A) was worth Y amount of Good(B)

No "commonality" of which glen speaks.

Academia does not function as such a market, but I think FRIAM might. Lot's of ideas put out that attract no response while others spawn long threads. This is a kind of "valuation" of the original idea to others on the list.

davew