[FRIAM] academia as a market of ideas

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Feb 19 11:46:14 EST 2021

I do think some commonality is required... the "rules of the exchanges"
are a shared language, albeit with a very restricted lexicon.  I also
think that the relative valuation of trade-goods is a key...  there must
be some asymmetry in valuation to "drive the engine"...  else there is
no exchange where both A) and B)

I have in my memory a possibly apocryphal or at least stylized/idealized
variation as simple as:

 1. Alice gifts Bob with a small but significant gift
 2. Bob accepts it and either
     1. walks away
     2. or returns a more significant gift
 3. Alice accepts this in return and either
     1. walks away
     2. or returns a more significant gift

This naturally continues until one or the other no longer feels their
exchanges are worthy or they run out of gifts to offer.  Assuming a
large pool of gift-traders, Bob and Alice find Ted and Carol and repeat,
possibly regifting some of those they just received.    If both have
been honest and earnest in their gifting, then at worse Bob or Carol is
out their perceived value of the increment between the last gift, and if
there is synergy then both have a perceived increased value from their
trades.

I suppose one could consider this a parallel sorting algorithm with
fuzzy (or contingent) values of the gifts implied.   It seems as if it
avoids (or minimizes) "Gift of the Magi" paradoxes.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gift_of_the_Magi