[FRIAM] Interview with Jeremy Howard

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:04:57 EST 2021

"The result is reasonable pattern recognition which lacks explainability".

I would prefer to say *lacks explanation*. Historically, Minsky
inadvertently pushed the field's academic development underground for a few
decades, but this isn't really enough (IMHO) to establish a pattern of
cycles. While I know it can be annoying to make comparisons between
artificial neural networks and their biological analogs, this need for
*explanation* seems common to both. I am impressed by the progress that is
being made and remain hopeful that more is yet to come. OTOH, there is a lot
of difficult engineering, scientific, mathematical, and philosophical work
still ahead.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/