[FRIAM] Interview with Jeremy Howard

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Thu Feb 25 10:39:45 EST 2021

I remember posting on Usenet about 15 or 20 years ago (I think it was about neural networks on comp.ai or so) and then suddenly Marvin Minsky himself replied "look I have done that already in 1960 or 1970). I was impressed to get a response from him, after all he was at MIT and had written "The society of Mind" etc.I am still impressed by the progress Google has made. If you look at Google Translate it is just amazing to see how good the translations are already. This was unthinkable 20 years ago. I believe the success comes from the amount of data they use in a smart way. Halevy, Norvig and Pereira called it "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data"https://research.google/pubs/pub35179-J.
-------- Original message --------From: jon zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> Date: 2/24/21  20:05  (GMT+01:00) To: friam at redfish.com Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Interview with Jeremy Howard "The result is reasonable pattern recognition which lacks explainability".I would prefer to say *lacks explanation*. Historically, Minskyinadvertently pushed the field's academic development underground for a fewdecades, but this isn't really enough (IMHO) to establish a pattern ofcycles. While I know it can be annoying to make comparisons betweenartificial neural networks and their biological analogs, this need for*explanation* seems common to both. I am impressed by the progress that isbeing made and remain hopeful that more is yet to come. OTOH, there is a lotof difficult engineering, scientific, mathematical, and philosophical workstill ahead.--Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservZoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/