[FRIAM] coding versus music

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Wed Jan 27 13:00:54 EST 2021

Nick, I think you should fine the perspective advanced here very congenial.

https://opendocs.github.io/sicp/sicp.pdf <https://opendocs.github.io/sicp/sicp.pdf>

I know the people who code for a living will sigh and say “how quaint, what the guy who doesn’t know anything about this work thinks is our literature”.  Granted.  My younger colleagues, whose work I have forwarded to this list, have never read it and many have never heard of it.  Yet for (I think) well more than a decade, it was a core standard at MIT.

As an outsider who knows nothing, I find it a terrific introduction, and do not yet understand why anyone would recommend _against_ taking at least a little time to read within it.

Eric