[FRIAM] Strawman/Steelman

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sun Jan 31 08:22:50 EST 2021

On Jan 30, 2021, at 1:48 PM, Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com> wrote:

> What if the Ratchet is, overall, a good thing?  Harnessing and controlling volatile individual passions into larger self-interested collectives that are, in general, behaving in more intelligent ways?     Some or even many of these ratchets are corrupt, like in the case of Putin.   But that forces the population under him to create better ratcheting systems; market forces create inequities which are inefficiencies for the society to sort out, but some of them are unavoidable and even good.

I think I would separate, here, a mechanism that indefinitely concentrates wealth, from mechanisms that overall produce a non-flat distribution of wealth.  The former being inherently destabilizing, the latter being perhaps compatible with steady states that are to some degree smooth.

(It is an aside to the few lines I will write below, but (perhaps in a side-reply to Steve’s post)  the thing I mean by Minsky’s Ratchet is actually not the same as the wealth-concentrating effects of unequal capital constraints.  There is a wonderful precise institutional instantiation of the Minsky Ratchet that one could build from the interaction of CDOs (Collateralized Debt Obligations) working together with Mark-to-market collateral pricing, as functioned in the 2007 mortgage-backed securities unwinding, but since nobody will ever care I have no way to justify the time writing it up.  It interests me because there is an economic entropy effect behind it that I would enjoy making explicit.  But its role is somewhat different from a sort of python-squeeze of capital concentration, which I take to be the focus of work like Piketty’s Capital in the 21st Century.  The Minsky Ratchet could be a mechanism in the python squeeze, but I think the latter involves further dimensions of social structure.)

This is a good time (historically speaking) to discuss the role of wealth concentration, because we can see its effects both for risk-taking and for the exercise of power in this pandemic year.  These days development of a new drug costs a capital outlay of about 2 billion dollars (a number I got from an insider maybe 4 years ago, but have seen in print somewhere since then).  When Pfizer didn’t feel like being on a leash to the corrupt trump government, they declined its money and went into development of a CoV-2 vaccine on their own capital.  If they did not have that enormous cash pile, they might have been unwilling to undergo the venture.  That is not to say that they will lose that money this time — it looks like they will profit very well over time — but rather that if they couldn’t have afforded to lose it, they might not have entered the effort at all.  I do tend to think that these very long-tailed wealth distributions have a role in enabling _somebody_ in a society to take risks that otherwise would be off-limits to the society at all.  There probably are other examples that are current just now: Google’s large investments in quantum computing, certain aspects of the implementation of AI, and things of that sort.  On the other side of it, one has the power problems of Amazon, Facebook, and the others, coupled to their providing services that people are choosing to use notwithstanding the side-effects.

The mechanics by which wealth skews place a spectrum of bets within or out of reach, and then the value judgments of the specific bets particular actors take, are both things to be understood.  I find arguments frustrating in which one tries to get a clear picture of the mechanics, and suddenly the conversation gets overwrought about valuations, as if the two were the same topic.  Of course they must both be seen, and together they inform what one might want from the society, but it seems to me necessary to recognize that they are distinct questions to be able to think in an orderly way about either of them.  Related to that distinction, there is a distinction between the _actions_ that wealth concentration enables, and the notion of how wealth concentration is expressed as power in the hands of one or another decision-maker (which could be an agent of many different possible types).

I can imagine trying to retain the capacity for big projects, but to contain abuses of power, by limiting wealth concentration under conventional “private property” conventions.  However, that would seem to require some notion of “nimble capital” that could rapidly aggregate around risky bets like quick development of an mRNA vaccine, or an initiative in quantum computing, or whatever.  We can certainly see instances in which governments have done versions of that, on fairly large scale (space programs, the US nuclear weapons push, in which Richard Rhodes argues that showing one could get past the economic/engineering threshold was a more important opening of the door than any difficulty of science), and others in which it was thwarted on much smaller scales (Obama administration efforts to invest in renewables, a strategy that our colleague Jessika Trancik argues from data about “cost-learning-curves” is very beneficial in the long term).  The willingness to risk big losses seems more common for rich individuals or even firms, than for social institutions, so nimble capital looks challenging to realize as a persistent capability.  There are precedents, at the level of analogy, to this sort of organization in biological phenomena like immune-system function, but it is not clear how well that analogy ports to the social realm.

I realize, too, that yesterday I broke our posting-hygiene rule.  So to fill in:

AOC = Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Eric