[FRIAM] of straw and steel

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Mon Jul 5 17:57:18 EDT 2021

Hi Merle,

The terms you cite are not jargon for me so I will lack the familiarity with the social circle that uses them today that you have.

The priorities under the name “circular economy” sound like things I know through readings like Sir Albert Howard’s The Soil and Health, which Howard structures around what he calls “the law of return”, or points made by Aldo Leopold in A Sand County Almanac.  The feeds I have had on this come mainly through people at the Leopold Center for sustainable ag at Iowa State, which the Rs finally managed to completely cut off from any public support in 2017, effectively killing it off after many decades in which it was a paradigm maker.  In some sense one would consider this the commonsense foundation of all understanding of ecology, and the premise that any long-term sustainable economy must have this aspect of ecological design.  So I tend to take these as a common starting point for discussion, and want to get to the places we get snagged of stuck, which keep us from following them out.

On Doughnut, I see from Wikipedia the paper for Oxfam from which the term was coined.  The parts of that that I think I have spent the most time on are the steady-staters, like Herman Daly (who is the Doyen as far as it has been presented to me) and then later-generation followers of mostly-Herman’s ideas, like Joshua Farley or Peter Victor. But I think there is a very large community of steady-staters now, and all of them would also take as their premise the start in planetary boundaries.  I think they also would follow a sort of Buddhist practicality that misery is not a goal; one wants enough sustenance to not be in material desperation as a starting point, though with too-large population even the realizability of that becomes debatable.

I tend not to prefer throwing out things that took centuries to build, as solutions to other problems that we forget when we no longer live under them, as beyond reform and incorrigible.  (RBG’s throwing away the umbrella because you are not getting wet.)  I won’t use keywords like Bretton Woods because I lack the depth to understand the implications that go into them in the current political discourse.  But education for skills, including difficult, narrow, or abstract ones, is something that I think contributes to a good life and not something I want to lose.

If I had to summarize my own view of the goal and the problem, I would probably start by saying there are three resources available (referring to individual people) but needing investment to develop: talent, character, and preparation.  To really get the best life and community out of talent, we need large diversity of opportunities at all stages, because talent undiscovered through experience never even has a chance to get developed.  Then we also need many choice-points to change tracks, so that talents that can get recognized in any of the vast diversity of areas where people could have them can then be followed out.  Character and community and those things are probably not so much in need of system design, as of cultural reinforcement along lines that are broadly appreciated in long-standing traditional discourse.  Preparation requires design of whole life-course pipelines, and that again is an institutional matter.  It is good to recognize that talents and character have independent existence from preparation, but would be very wrong to suppose that preparation doesn’t matter.  Trying to affirmative-action our way to some better solution at a few points in higher ed, in a society that creates vastly unequal opportunities across the whole developmental course, limits the best outcomes we can get.  It reminds me of using medications to manage diabetes and heart disease, rather than having a life and a diet that don’t create those diseases in the first place.  The medications are better than morbidity and mortality, but a long life of medicated ill-health is not what we should settle for.  The universities try to reach back and support other ed levels here and there, which again counts for something.  But ultimately what is required is a public commitment, and the universities alone are too small to have control over what needs to be moved.

In looking at the reviews to the two books on Meritocracy, I felt like I was back in Moby Dick, reading Melville’s summary of Locke and Hume as two whales on either side of the ship.  Would be good to read them both.  Would be good to have breathing space to read anything….

Eric