[FRIAM] multitasking

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 1 22:49:41 EDT 2021

glen is good at triggers — this one more of an observational one.

The mind/brain seems to require massive multi-tasking / parallel processing to function at all. I base this statement on long ago experiments at Macalester's psych department with a sensory deprivation tank - a real one, not the ones they use in spas for relaxation. The mind/brain "panics" absent massive multi-channel sensory inputs ‚ the five senses plus other channels. North Korea used this kind of sensory deprivation as torture. The experiments we did would never get past a research board today because they were very dangerous and used human subjects including me.

Sensory deprivation with LSD was a whole different thing. I could not do more than five-minutes in true sensory deprivation tank but spent many an hour tripping in one.

davew