[FRIAM] multitasking

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Jun 1 23:20:00 EDT 2021

I think the claim that people can't multitask is simply that there is distinction between short and long term memory.
A computer can take an interrupt and retain and later restore its register file exactly.   This can happen thousands of times a second or years after a task suspension.
If it happens too frequently, progress will slow, but it only with very, very small probability will it fail (e.g. power fluctuation or cosmic ray strike).   But at least I need to take a quite a bit of time to restore the narrative to resume a detailed task.  Usually I avoid doing so until I know I will be free of distractions.   Things that I can easily restore are practiced or easy or meatspace things.

Incidentally, for running it depends if it is intervals or not.   Below anaerobic threshold, I can almost forget I am running.   On a treadmill, I can watch TV but I don't watch anything with a complex plot or with lengthy dialogue because I miss words or space out for periods.   Above it, I pay attention to the pain.  :-)