[FRIAM] Score one for Wokeism!

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:03:02 EST 2021

Yeah. But Trump is merely 1 symptom of the disease. And populism is another symptom of, I think, that same disease. Witness:

Government drug adviser David Nutt sacked
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/30/drugs-adviser-david-nutt-sacked

So, Nutt, all the way back in '09, was cancelled for telling the truth. But rather than whine on forever about it and glue his identity to a chip on his shoulder, he's plugged along doing actual work.

Psychedelic Microdosing - Just a Placebo Effect?
https://www.drugscience.org.uk/psychedelic-microdosing-lsd-or-psilocybin-mushrooms-placebo-effect/

Of course, one could argue that Nutt's being canceled (by a far more insidious cancel culture than Wokeism could ever muster) *contributed* to society. When a local peak like Kevin Spacey gets cancelled, it's tempting to succumb to the Great Man Theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_man_theory) and think in terms of that singular figurehead ... that celebrity ... as if Beyonce was any more talented than your local church choir boy. But it's clearly *false*, a symptom of our diseased minds, infected with the illusion of Individualism.

What's actually happening when Brett Weinsteins get kicked out of their universities is a flattening of a suboptimal peak in a rich landscape. It gives the Louis C.K.s new opportunities to be more creative, in more interesting ways. Besides Nutt, another interesting example is Dave Chappelle, who was brilliant enough to CANCEL HIMSELF in order to facilitate that creative splattering.

To cast this stuff in terms of "culture war", democracy, or fair play is to limit the scope and risk treating the symptoms instead of the disease.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ