[FRIAM] knowing

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Mar 9 16:57:19 EST 2021

Glen -

Good response to Dave's points, I'm not likely to add anything but noise
by trying to add anything.

> [⛧] I'm trying to decide if I want to stop using "plebe" and start using "prole" ... so many lovely words.

I vote for prole(etarian) on the basis that it references the
class-struggles of modern times better, even though along with plebe
(plebeian) it has it's roots in Roman "Democracy".   I also think that
the derived "precariat" gives it power-by-association insomuch that the
connotation of "plebians" is that the "patrician" class seems to have
accepted some responsibility for the various class roles in a similar
way to the "patron/peon" relation that typifies feudalism.   A "prole"
would seem to be more truly fodder for "the machine" and is in
opposition to the "bourgeoisie" as much or more than the "nobility" or
"aristocracy".

Of course, we have both words because they are both useful, I just think
most of your examples fit "prole" more tightly than "plebe".