[FRIAM] knowing

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 9 17:40:02 EST 2021

Thanks for your comments. I understand and agree with part, but not all.

Agreememt: the division of analysis/decomposition and synthesis/composition. One of my favorite sci-fi books was Rite of Passage by Alexi Panshin. The two protagonists aspired to defined roles in their context: one was "ordinologist" the other "synthesist." The first was the person with the skills to organize and structure knowledge - like books and artifacts within a room. The latter was the person who could wander from room to room and know that "X" would make a huge contribution if moved to this other room, or these things from separate rooms should be clustered in this new room (and the ordinologist drop by to organize them of course).

Divergence: I believe we have an educational system, especially at the University level, that does an adequate job of producing ordinologists (scholars) but is woefully inadequate when it comes to producing synthesists. And, of course, I believe there would be value in producing some.

Orthogonal: status accretion. The first thing I thought of when reading your post was a favorite Plato quote:

*"[First,] perceiving and bringing together under one Idea the scattered particulars, so that one makes clear the thing which he wishes to do... [Second,] the separation of the Idea into classes, by dividing it where the natural joints are, and not trying to break any part, after the manner of as a bad carver... I love these processes of division and bringing together, and if I think any other man is able to see things that can naturally be collected into one and divided into many, him I will follow as if he were as a god."*

This seems to have some flavor of your status concern. But, is it not the case that there is a spectrum of individual difference in both aptitude and ability in this taking apart and putting together? And if we could move individual from one end of that spectrum towards the other, would that not be a good thing?

Of course the artificial status you speak of is very real and undeserved: there is no evidence that Jobs or Musk are farther along the spectrum than anyone else so why are they treated as if that was so? [There is clear evidence that the Kardashians are farther along the steatopygic spectrum than most and if that is a claim to fame/status, then it is deserved.]

Missed (I think) Point: Is there any value in being able to comprehend/understand an ineffable thing, like Cantor's Absolute? Is that value, if any, exclusively enjoyed by the individual? Or, is there some possible group/social value? if the latter, would it be desirable if more people in the group could achieve that understanding/comprehension?

BTW, with regard Plato. I know I am better than he was, so I do not mind at all that he would deem me a god.

davew