[FRIAM] great man theory

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:17:19 EST 2021

To be clear, recognizing that all models are wrong, some are useful isn't nihilistic. My favorite conception is (what I think I got from Kierkegaard), the leap of faith from obsessing about how wrong our models are, to something akin to "shut up and calculate" is what gets us out of analysis paralysis.

The trick, I suppose, is *when* to pull the trigger. How much do I have to empathize with Jeff Bezos before I can just get on with pointing out that his effluvium is destroying culture, market, and planet; and any "effective altruism" he may engage in will never offset the damage his effluvium's done.

How much do I have to empathize with Michael Jackson ... or Trump ... or whatever fictitious caricature (false but useful model) we might choose, in order to get on with the consequential task of mitigating their impact?

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ