[FRIAM] Spandrel

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 19:37:18 EST 2021

Bonner's a great guy, but I think he's wrong on that, or you're wrong in interpreting him.  The whole thrust of Lewontin and Gould's work is that there are developmental constraints in evolution.  Even according to orthodox Darwinian theory, mutation is random, but only with respect to the opportunities a mutation affords.  Nothing says that a mutation can' be predictable, yet random in this sense.  Any "random" assertion requires a point of view from which the stated variable is random.  Any geneticist can tell you which mutations are more likely than others.

Nick

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/