[FRIAM] Spandrel

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 14 10:33:30 EDT 2021

Let me attempt to echo what i think I understand from your example and previous discussions where I lurked:

A mutation occurs in an organism resulting in an morphological change — i.e. a nose, modified jaw, and modified brain case.  I assume, *first potential error*, that this is a 'singular' change (e.g. a "face"), not three separate mutations and three different morphological changes to three different parts of the organism? [If there are three separate events, then how are they "coordinated?"]

One aspect of the original change, the nose, continues to change — is "decorated."

Second assumption (*error*): the same forces, mutation/selection, that cued the 'face' are prompting promulgation of new nose morphologies, the 'decorations'; which are selected among.

*Core misunderstanding*: it seems as if this demands some kind of "focused," on the nose, "micro-evolution." I do not see how such a weird phenomenon is _not_ required; but cannot fathom from whence, and how, it came.

If mutation/selection occurs only at the 'whole', i.e. the face, then I do not see why any aspect of that face is "isolated" such that localized change is deemed somehow independent of global change and therefore merits the label: spandrel.

Now that you see how deep I am in a well of misunderstanding, is rescue possible or is it time to pour in the cement and cap the well?

davew