[FRIAM] Spandrel

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 14:02:58 EDT 2021

Dave, we both agree, I think, that one of the tests of understanding is the ability to explain an idea to an honest, persistent questioner.  So it is MY understanding of spandrel that is at stake here, not yours.   I have not looked any of what follows up.  It is strictly from ambient knowledge, and I predict that by the end of the day, voracious reader that you are, you will know more about this subject than I.   One of my great weakness as a scholar is that I like to play with the blocks I have, whole new technologies could arise in block-tower-building, and I would never know it. I hope that Jon Zingale, another voracious reader, will weigh in and update me.

The basic idea here, is “side effect” (aka epiphenomenon).  Not all structures are the result of selection on that structure as we see it.  Study this artifact:

The illustration is a bit wonky, but I have seen that toy, so I know it exists.  If you see one in a yard sale please buy it for me, because neither Sober nor I can find one any more.  The idea is that you put marbles of different sizes/colors in the top of the device (i.e., blue is large, red is smaller, etc.) and you shake it.  The device sorts the balls for size, and because the different sized balls are also of different colors, it also sorts for color.  Because we are color obsessed creatures, we tend to focus on the color-sorting, but the device itself “knows” nothing of color.  Sorting for color is a “side effect” of sorting for size.  Color “comes along with” size.  It “falls out”.  In the essay I am working on I call this relation an “epiphenomenal” relation, and I am writing about it because I think it is the source of all sorts of confusion in the vital sciences.

Now both Gould and Lewontin were/are? Developmental biologists.  Thinking like theirs was the basis for the old/new field of “evo-devo”.   The basic idea is genes don’t code for structures, they code for the relative speed or slowness of chemical events.  So, start with a dog’s face say, where the nose is perched out on the end of the upper jaw.  Now select for a larger brain size, while selection also for a vastly reduced dentition and jaw size.  Bingo, you get a nose!  Similarly with the hyena: select for a more aggressive female hyena, and BINGO you get a female with a penis.  As Bob’s your Uncle!

The main point of Gould and Lewontin’s essay was to hammer home the idea that not all structures, however notable they may be to our eyes, are the result of selection on those structures as such.  It was meant to be a counter to all of us who were, at the time, trying to explain the presence of a penis in female hyenas by all the good that this structure does for the female when she displays it in aggressive encounters.  The fact is that both the display and the penis come about as an “unintended consequence”  of the selection for high levels of the “aggression hormone”, testosterone.  And there is tremendous evidence of countervailing selection against the hypertrophied penis because the females have to give birth through it with all of the horrific consequences that you can imagine.

No, the trouble comes for me when we begin to apply the metaphor of a “spandrel”.   The spandrels of St. Marco are triangular shaped decorations that are drawn on the ceilings of hallways where two corridors meet.  The triangular shape is necessitated by the geometry of intersecting corridors.  They are so elegant that some (it’s said) have been tempted to explain the structures as designed to accommodate the drawings, but that is nonsense.  The spaces are side effects of the intersection of the corridors, and the drawings have been made to accommodate to the spaces.  But where I get confused, and where I may confuse you, is whether the spaces are the spandrels or the drawings.  I think of the drawings as the spandrels, and since the drawings are definitely “adapted”, I think of a spandrel as a secondary adaptation built on a side effect.  You might think of the spandrel as the space, in which case the spandrel is a structure created as a side effect of selection on one or more other structures.

So, think about arm pits.  They are hairy, and glands in the armpit disperse pheromones.  Is the shape of the armpit been selected for dispersing hormones?  We can all agree that that idea is silly.  The shape of the armpit is dictated by the needs of hanging an arm on a torso.  We can also agree the modification of the sweat glands and the hair are plausibly “for dispersing”  pheromones.  What we may stumble over is whether the “spandrel” is the space where the hair and glands are located, or the hair and glands themselves.  If you look spandrel up in Wikipedia you will see endless wrangling about the meaning on “spandrel” and I suspect that much of it can be sourced to this ambiguity of the metaphor.

Before I close, let me defend for a moment my use of the word epiphenomenon.  One of most important uses of that word  is to state a theory that consciousness is a side effect of the operation of the brain but events in consciousness are not in the causal chain of the processes that produce it.  Now can we say that consciousness is a “spandrel”.  Well it depends on where we came out on the ambiguity above.  Is consciousnsess just the “space” created by the operation of the brain, and has nothing to do with its own form.  Or has the fact of consciousness been seized upon by subsequent selection to give it causal properties.  That is the language problem that I am trying to sort out.

I need to go get something to eat, but be fore I send this to you, I will try to steel-man what you wrote below in some larding.

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/