[FRIAM] I am accepting wagers

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Sun Mar 14 22:01:49 EDT 2021

What you describe probably could be done approximately as fast as Dave
says. But we are not talking simply about a system with an elegant web
interface for the public and a static database on the back end. The
compexity of the back end depends a lot on the requirements. Localities
have to keep up to date about hours, capacities, etc. Presumably this
system is required to: reject people signing up bogus names to scalp the
appointments, check that second shots are taken, etc. There are
databases currently handling all this, very competently in our county,
but I bet you’ll find everything in the wild from spreadsheets to
modern systems. It’s not that its hard to get data into the system,
but the entropy out there is huge, so feeding data into the system from
the existing systems could get really messy.

The general principal is that a simple problem repeated in a thousand
different variations is no longer a simple problem.

--Barry