[FRIAM] I am accepting wagers

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Tue Mar 16 12:13:59 EDT 2021

With the understanding that I am not talking about any specific project
but rather about generalities, I can point out how much effort you could
save with shared code — kill 50 (55 including territories) birds with
one stone. Especially if that code is built with tinker toy modules.

I think the real problem is the interface between the project (clean,
modern, elegant) and the world of data it is trying to unify (diverse,
some clean and elegant, some not). Remember the 20-80 rule. We try to
hire the 20%; the 80% go off to write portals to state taxation and data
sites. (Don’t get my wife started on this; she handles the various
state taxes such as sales tax, unemployment, etc. for two states. The
web portals are frequently incomprehensible	and changing.)

A few months ago I read that one of the problems with gathering Covid
statistics is that in some hospitals, the data was being sent by having
a person print out a report from the hospital’s system and re-key the
information in the central system. The clean and elegant solution would
require a standard format for the input data, but that breaks when it
meets the real world. Assuming Biden’s system will have records for
each vaccination appointment, the amount of data is orders of magnitude
greater than in the Covid case.

I’ll take the wager (I’d prefer a microbrew) but the likelihood	of
the two of us being in the same place at the same time is probably
pretty low. We could probably have a drink on vFriam, but it *is* a bit
early in the day for that. That said, I’m not clear on what the
criteria	for determining who wins the bet are.

—Barry