[FRIAM] Draft abstract

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 18:21:41 EDT 2021

Thanks, Jochen. Two very interesting books.

The Amazon reviews of the Dennett-Caruso book range from 1 star to 5 stars!
The Amazon blurb on the book puts the focus on the implications of one's
views about Free Will for moral responsibility.

"Dennett argues that the kind of free will required for moral
responsibility is compatible with determinism – for him, self-control is
key; we are not responsible for becoming responsible, but are responsible
for staying responsible, for keeping would-be puppeteers at bay. Caruso
takes the opposite view, arguing that who we are and what we do is
ultimately the result of factors beyond our control, and because of this we
are never morally responsible for our actions in the sense that would make
us *truly deserving* of blame and praise, punishment and reward."
Undoubtedly an interesting discussion.

My concern is much less about moral responsibility than theirs. Moral
responsibility adds an additional layer to the discussion that makes
everything much muddier.

I once knew a very intelligent determinist who argued that punishment was
important nevertheless. It plays the same role as training for neural nets.
Even though the neural net mechanism is deterministic, it's useless without
training. Punishment, and more generally child-rearing and education serve
the same function for society. They make humans much more valuable members.
All that is fully compatible with determinism.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science